GG: The Sound's the Thing

On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Kristen Immoor wrote:

> I get the
> distinct impression that with Glenn, the actual physical sound of the words
> was just as important as their meaning, if not more so. Why else would he
> have worked so tirelessly to perfect radio documentaries that many of his
> own friends found unlistenable?
>      When listening to GG speak (or reading his writing,) sometimes I just
> have to think to myself "Oh come on, he only said that because it felt so
> cool to say."

A professor I know (David Mosley, Goshen College) did a major project on
Dylan Thomas along these same lines, examining the musical ideas that
emerge in the sound of Thomas' poetry (in his recorded readings).  Dr.
Mosley also composed some French horn parts to be played as counterpoint
to the tapes of Thomas.  I heard him perform this once, and it was pretty
stunning.  A primary technique was using the horn to sustain prominent
pitches in Thomas' voice across sections of the poetry, sort of like using
a piano's pedals.

Bradley Lehman ~ Harrisonburg VA, USA ~ 38.44N+78.87W
bpl@umich.edu ~ http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/