The Well Tempered Listener

I spend much time in the study of James Joyce. From this study
certain useful ideas have emerged and I often test their general
validity by applying them to other areas.

One very useful idea is that of art historian Lawrence Gowing who, in
his study of Vermeer, declared that real world, every day decisions
were more important than artistic ones.

The listener to music often confronts another listener in
acrimonious and useless discussions of the " this is good, that is
bad" sort. The terms of the discussion, although seldom intelligent,
are always based upon artistic consideration.

What considerations - of the practical, every day sort - are
appropriate? First of all, are initial reaction to music is visceral.
Love of pleasure makes us seek more of the same. The pursuit of
musical pleasure immediately becomes complex as we assign notions of
superiority and inferiority. We begin a process of selection and this
process is rooted in our relationship to society. Solidarity with, or
alienation from, society dictates affirmation of the canon or
espousal of the radically new.

Some become arrested at this stage. Melody good, dedecaphony bad or
the opposite is the litmus test of self-willed simplicity in regard
to the extremely complex.

Progress consists in making new choices and re-evaluating old ones
constantly. In the art of listening we will reject equally the
decisions of the group as well as the affectations of singularity.

The initial response, for meaningful growth, however complex becomes
our experience, remains the visceral one.

Bob Williams prospero@netins.net