[Fwd: Gould's signature]

Here's Tim Maloney's explanation of the fact that GG signed his name
with one 'n'.  TM is the Director, Music Division of the National
Library of Canada.  The response was posted on Gould-L but I though it
was interesting so I'm cross posting it.

-Mary Jo
--- Begin Message ---

"The National Library of Canada has a website called "The Glenn Gould
Archive" where what I believe the authentic signature of GG is shown.  GG
was a perfectionist; can someone tell me why the signature shows the first
name written with one n?"

The web site does use the authentic signature of Gould, with only one N.  We
at the National Library of Canada had assumed that, being a busy man, Mr.
Gould adopted the use of a single N in his signature as a matter of
convenience and speed.  He even had a rubber stamp made (which is in his
archive) to stamp cheques and other items with, and this too has a single N
in the name "Glenn."  However, the lawyer for the Gould estate, Mr. Stephen
Posen, told a symposium in San Francisco earlier this spring that Mr. Gould
grew concerned that he might write too few or too many "loops" in his
signature when he was writing quickly if he continued to use 2 N's, and so
(if I remember correctly), being a perfectionist (as Sigmund correctly
pointed out),Gould decided to drop the second N completely, lest he confuse
anyone or spoil any documents.

(If I have misquoted you, Steve, feel free to correct me.  Or anyone else
who was there.....)

I hope this helps clear up the mystery.  Cheers! - T. Maloney
Dr. S. Timothy Maloney        Tel: (613) 995-3400
Director, Music Division      Fax: (613) 952-2895
National Library of Canada         e-mail:  timothy.maloney@nlc-bnc.ca

--- End Message ---