Re: GG sits in for Vladimir?

>Ever hear about Glenn Gould and the Horowitz recording?

Heard it a few times, still don't know if I believe it. It's rather like
that old story of Paul McCartney returning to the studio late at night to
secretly replace all of Ringo's drum tracks.

Just speculating off the top of my head (of course I have no proof,) I
wouldn't imagine that the "musicians' rivalry" Gould felt toward VH was too
great of a secret among studio technicians and execs, and it would really
strike me as bizarre for anyone in charge of a VH recording to let Gould
sit in and redub some passages - especially given Gould's tendency to take
liberties with interpretation. That would have been a very dangerous
decision for a tech to make, and knowing the pleasant disposition VH was
reported to have had I think it would have been more likely that the
editors would have just called him in for a pick-up on the troublesome
passages.

...but then again, one never knows, does one?

Regards,
Kristen

PS- Jerry & Judy, I love your domain name!

"Soon, as if Gould is playing a vampire, he goes out mostly at night. He
drives a big American car, with the security of steel, glass, and metal
plating. He uses the cover of darkness. (At night everyone is disguised.)"

                                                              -- B.W. Powe