Re: GG : About Authenticity

At 13:53 5.06.97 -0700, you wrote:

Bonjour Colleen ; bien desole de vous repondre si tard...

>J'ai des pensees et questions sur votre lettre e-mail.

>But there are indications in the score (at least in the Urtext edition
>which I have) to accelerate and slow down in the last 12-16 bars of the
>Prelude.  One section is marked Presto, the next Adagio, the last Allegro. =

>Or does he slow down and speed up throughout the prelude?

I have, just in front of me, the UT 50050 Urtext edition... and listening
again to Gould's performance.
He does not slow down troughouth the prelude, and just as you said,
there is a PRESTO and and ADAGIO on the second page. But I was not
talking about that. Bar 25, ( G-H-D-F-A-F- ... etc), he begins to swing,
and this feeling grows during the presto. I meaned that I would never dare
to do so during my examination next week (I'm playing the prelude and
Fugue nr 2).
But... who would dare to ape Gould ?

>Something I've been thinking about (and tell me if this is just too
>absurd): could Gould's preference for the bass line be somewhat related to
>the fact that he was left-handed?  Or here's another potentially absurd
>connection:  could his preference for the bass line reflect the fact that
>his own voice which was a bass or baritone?  So that when playing an
>ensemble of voices on the piano he gave his own voice (or its
>equivalent) the spotlight? :)

I'm strictly unable to answer to your remark. Well ; I'm an AMATEUR
pianist , and I'm left-handed... just let me talk about my poor
experience. I do not feel that beeing left-handed makes my left hand
stronger or more invading. Technically, it is even feebler... perheaps
because most studies I have worked concerned principaly the right hand.
In my opinion, I'm more seduced by your hypothesis concerning his
baryton voice. He is more often humming the bass voice than the others...
What about the link cause - effect ???
Michel Crucifix , etudiant en physique, Courriere, Belgique
Eudora 1.5.2 (attached files ; quoted printable)
<< Wallon et fir di l'esse >>
Interests : Piano (Practice & listening Glenn Gould) ; Astronomy