Re: The Concerto

Dear F-minors,

	Apropos of Kristen's remarks that the concerto need not be
conceived of as a contest but rather as a game or dance--

	In retrospect, doesn't Gould's professed disdain for the
competitive aspects of the concerto look a little peculiar?  Looking back
over Friedrich, I was struck by how intensely competitive a person Gould
was: every personal interaction with him involved guessing "games" that
were clearly impromptu tests.  Maybe one reason why Gould couldn't
conceive of concertos as games was because games *were* serious
competition for him.

	More likely, though, I suspect Gould's antipathy to the Concerto
was that it involved yielding his control over the performance.  He did
think about recording Beethoven with Karajan, and there was apparently
also a possibility to do the Beethoven concertos with Marriner conducting
the Cleveland Orchestra (in both of which the piano part was to be
recorded separately, I believe), but the only concerto scheme that really
got off the ground was the one where he would be both conductor and
soloist.

	I'm afraid I'm getting suspicious of a lot of Gould's moral
arguments for his behavior and attitudes.  I don't think that Gould
disliked competition per se; he just disliked competitions where it was
possible for him to lose.

	All the best,

	Robert