More about Notebook

     When I went home on Friday night, I flipped through my
     Notebook for AM Bach to see what is there.  Two partitas and
     two French suites, to start with.  I thought I had
     remembered some movements from the Overture in French Style
     but I must have been mistaken.  Several works that are
     clearly indicated as being by composers other than JSB,
     including Mr. Couperin.  A few chorale settings and the like
     that I think we would all agree are by JSB.  And dozens and
     dozens of miniature pieces that are presumed to be by JSB
     but I can certainly dig the notion that some of them might
     not be.

     Some of these miniatures are extraordinarily groovy, IMHO.
     It is easy to dismiss them as music for children and
     amateurs, but there are many strokes of brilliance
     throughout.  Much keen insight on how a piece of music
     should be organized, be it long or short.  Seems to indicate
     the work of the master but still true regardless of who the
     composer is . . .

     Incidentally, in flipping through my reference materials,
     what does seem to have been dismissed by scholars is the
     notion that JSB was primarily responsible for the *content*
     of the Notebook.  Apparently he got it started with a few
     works of his own and then ignored it, so that AMB was
     primarily responsible for what went into the notebook during
     her lifetime.  She just included a lot of her spouse's work.
     Is that consistent with what you have read?

     Mark