Subject: Re: the well-tempered clavier
Author:  "K. Berry" <kb@cs.umb.edu> at internet
Date:    6/6/97 11:09 AM

    WTC 1 was written (a) to
    demonstrate the modulatory advantages of equal temperament

Possibilities, yes -- I seem to recall that WTK I was written shortly
after Werckmeister devised the system to make it possible to write in
keys with more than four accidentals.

         might like the Notebook for A.M. Bach.  WTC 2 was written

I thought the Notebook for Anna Magdalena was mostly pieces by visitors
to Bach's home, not by J.S.B. (or sons).  Except for the first.

Rather a nice custom, too bad it's lapsed :-).