Re: Ecstasy and obligation

Hi everyone.

The one thing that kept occuring to me as I read this was that live
performances are supposed to be fun. If a performer isn't having fun,
trust me, it communicates itself to the audience and ruins it. Conversely,
if a performer - musician, actor, whatever - is having a great time, the
audience picks up on that, and the music automatically becomes better -
musically, perhaps technically, perhaps not. I've seen Yo Yo Ma countless
times, and each time he's relaxed and smiling onstage, and interacting
visually with the members of the orchestra through the music, and having a
grand time. I've also seen performers who stomp out onto the stage, set
their instruments and play with scowls on their faces. These people are
not enjoying themselves, and it makes you wonder why they're doing it at
all. I really respect Gould's decision to leave the stage because the
perforances disappointed him. I wish more people could have that strength.

Makes you wonder who the obligation is to... one's public, or oneself? I'd
be tempted to follow through on the obligation to the self, personally,
seeing as how the self is the one producing the music, after all. Sort of
like `in order to make others happy you must first be happy yourself'.
Which is one of my creeds.

Just another tuppence from me.

Arin Murphy
Student, Savoyard,
Bookseller, Cellist-By-Night

"It really isn't difficult if you give your whole mind to it."
				-Lady Angela, Act 1
				   Gilbert & Sullivan's `Patience'