Subject: Re: GG, Helfgott & Dutton
Author:  Robert Kunath <kunath@hilltop.ic.edu> at internet
Date:    5/28/97 12:30 PM

Dear Fellow F-Minors,

        David Helfgott doubtless deserves quite a bit of the severe
criticism that he has received, and, as Kristen points out, it's
especially well-deserved when it is a response to the over-inflated
claims made by those seeking to market him as a music commodity.

        But that should not obscure for us the fact that many people like
or dislike music according to their subjective/emotional responses. That's
especially the case for those (like myself) who are not musicians, and who
cannot appreciate the technical and structural aspects of a performance as
well as those like Arin, who can draw the distinction between a brilliant
performance and a bad-sounding instrument.  A lot of people have come to
feel that they *know* David Helfgott as a result of the movie Shine, and
so his performances have an emotional resonance for them much greater than
some perfect but anonymous performance by a master musician.

        I don't think that we can deny the legitimacy of that response,
even if we do not share it.  Ask yourself which performance would touch
you more: a brilliant Scarlatti sonata played by a supremely-gifted
virtuoso, or a substandard performance by a good friend whom you never
thought would play the piano again.  I don't expect that there's much
comparison!  (Though I would be happy to admit that the latter case is
more an emotional than a musical experience).

        And, at least for me, similar considerations apply to GG.  I think
I have learned enough over the last 15 years of listening to him to
appreciate that he is a brilliant pianist.  But what touches me most about
many of his performances is my sense of how the music he plays expresses
who he was.  I have friends who tell me that Gould's Bach is willful and
inauthentic, and my response is that I don't really care.  There are more
than enough outstanding musicians who play Bach "authentically," and I'm
happy to own some of their recordings.  But I love listening to Gould's
Bach, and as much for what I learn about Gould as what I learn about Bach.
I can well understand how people who feel a connection to David Helfgott
don't really care whether it's objectively "good" Rachmaninoff or not:
when you feel that you know and like a person, and know that he had to
fight for every note he plays, it's not so important that all the notes be
right.

        All the best,

        Robert