Re: GG, Helfgott & Dutton

Hello all,

I'd just like to comment on Robert's remarks.  I agree with him that there
is more than one way to appreciate a performance.  In fact, I would go so
far as to argue that many of the so-called "master" performances are
actually not so great as their performer's fame implies.  But unlike many
of GG's critics, I do not put him in this category.  Gould's performances,
when not being dissected for idiosyncracies (and therefore "weak spots" to
aim for), usually offer fresh insight into the works performed.  I do not
believe that the effects GG worked so tirelessly to achieve were merely
for the sake of being different, but rather to try to communicate a "state
of being" not found in other performances, certainly not in the
often-tired "traditional readings."  For that reason, I do not find
Gould's "willful and inauthentic" Bach to be the travesty the critics
would like to say it is.  Even if the appellation is true (and indeed, how
can we know for sure what "authentic" is?), any scholar of music history
will have to acknowledge that Bach himself was the prime example of
"willful and inauthentic" musicianship.  Turning those thumbs under was
about as inauthentic as you could get, fingering-wise, and for willful
performances, one need look no further than the chorale-preludes and the
cantatas.  Surely Bach's willful use (contemporaries would have said
"overuse" I'm sure) of ornamentation stimulated as many critics then as
GG's performances of the same pieces do now.  And there are many more
examples than the ones I have just cited.

While I did not invest myself into Helfgott's story, and so now have
little emotional attachment to his performances, Robert's comments are
well-written and well-taken.  I would only caution (and I don't mean to
imply that Robert intended this) that comparing Gould's intentional
differences in reading with Helfgott's difficulties in technique and
interpretation is quite unfair to both.

But to say there's more than one way to value a performance, I'm there
with that.

Regards, Melissa

|Melissa M. Stewart			    |  Graduate Student           |
|State University of New York at Buffalo    |  Potential Theorist         |
|stewartm@acsu.buffalo.edu		    |  Hockey Player              |