[no subject]

        Let this letter serve as my formal declaration of bitterness toward
humanity. I try to fight it, try to suppress it, try to live with optimism
and with love for my fellow man, and every day it gets more and more
difficult...
        To those whom I had offered copies of my symposium tapes, forget
it. It isn't going to happen. My four audio cassettes of my weekend in SF,
along with the only roll of film from the symposium, and virtually every
thing else of value that Joseph and I owned were stolen today in a most
barbaric fashion from my apartment.
        I know you might not believe the story but I assure you it is true;
while the premises were unattended today, in broad daylight (as the cliché
goes,) individuals posing as maintenance workers used sharpened iron rods
as battering rams and BROKE THROUGH THE WALL to enter my apartment. Don't
misunderstand me here: not a door, not a window, a WALL, people!! I have a
gaping hole in my wall!! They crawled through it and robbed us blind!! They
stole our clothing!! The paintings off the walls!!
        I try to have a good sense of humor about it all, because the
insurance will cover the more costly possessions, but there is something
very painful about losing the personal stuff, the things money can't
replace; like the Glenn Gould symposium cassettes, the artwork given to me
by bygone friends, not to mention simple things like confidence, security,
peace of mind. Now Jos and I are arguing about serial numbers and how to
file claims for the laptop PC, and whether the crooks will be back to get
the stuff they didn't take the first time - like this computer (not a
ringing endorsement for Apple.) Don't get me wrong, I am grateful to have
my health, to not have been shot in a hold-up... but what the hell kind of
consolation is that? Are these things we should really have to live in fear
of in the first place? "Wow, what a great day... and I didn't even get
shot!" Something has gone horribly wrong and I don't know when or where. We
called the cops and the cops don't care, our jackass landlord said "Hey,
whattya expect, it's a big city."
I am sad and frustrated. I am going across the street to get a beer. Thank
you and goodnight.

KI

PS-The thieves were uncultured barbarians... they didn't take any of my GG cds.

"I have several titles for diseases which I am expecting to use in later
life and have not yet had occasion to make use of. I always find that a
good disease title will impress your average concert manager to no end."

                                                              -- Glenn Gould