Re: Rachmaninoff?

At 4:38 PM 5/8/97, Leon A. Le Leu wrote:
>It is such a change from wondering about what haemorrhoid ointment Gould
>might have used while sitting on his non-ergonomic chair; what biscuit he
>might have consumed with what strange beverage; or, as now, what
>contraindications and side-effects might have been published at the time he
>was living about the medications he used.  The latter subject is of
>historical interest if only to demonstrate how much further knowledge has
>been accumulated about drugs since his time.

        I think it could be of interest in determining the range and
severity of the side effects GG might have been experiencing, and also in
judging the veracity of the claims made by friends that GG's pills had no
perceivable effect on his thinking or his performing. He has been thought
of as a hypochondriac for so long, it might be nice to explain with
scientific fact some of the mysterious ailments he claimed to have had.
Obviously his ailments affected his performing, there is suggestion that
the "year off" he took while recording the toccatas was due to his
reluctance/inability to play.

>Finally, I am surprised that anyone could have been insulted by my comment
>that those who take on all the opinions and prejudices of Gould are pathetic
>- perhaps bordering on the pathological.  Such a comment could only be
>viewed as insulting by somebody who has, in fact, taken on all the
>opinionsand prejudices of Gould at the expense of their own identity and
>self-worth.  This could not apply to anyone on the list so there is nobody
>to insult.

         It doesn't really matter, but since you mention it, why did you
use the comment as support for your argument that this list should discuss
Rachmaninoff? It certainly *seemed* that you were referring to this list's
participants. Anyway, we have had a lot of energetic traffic on the list
due to the Rach thread, but I still side with Mary Jo on the '"purpose and
intent" argument. Sorry about that.
 :-)
Regards,
Kristen

"...you can never say no to a stewardess in a dream."

                                                              -Glenn Gould