Re: GG: Rach, analytical, etc.

On Mon, 5 May 1997, Mary Jo Watts wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Hate to be the eternal grump but could we steer these fascinating
> conversations towards Glenn Gould?  I'm really enjoying the threads
> especially since they touch upon many of GG's ideas/opinions but please
> make the connection to GG a bit more explicit.

ahh really? hmm.. I'll try. I'd guess Glenn would hate Rachmaninoff. He
sees (Glenn still lives, in my opinion) lots of Romantic music as
arrogant. He thinks that the composers just assume anything they write is
great, and hence the grandiose crescendos and so on. hey, he was the "Last
Puritan". I think that earlier music sang to God, and later music sang to
us. humans. And, since Glenn is a Puritan (or so he calls himself), he
likes the earlier, more ethereal works. but... maybe I'm in the wrong
mailing list, but I like to talk about what I think more. Though... it is
very very good to take a look at thing through someone else eyes.