Re: Music Types

On Sun, 4 May 1997, Bob & Judy Williams wrote:

> James,

Jon... I get that a lot because this is my pop's account and his name
is... you guessed it, james. but you can call me James if you really want
to :)

 I liked your distinctions between storytelling and 'stand
> alone' compositions. Is this an absolute distinction or is it a result
> of our (relative) inability to follow the narrative elements that may
> be in Mozart?

jeeze louise... good question. I'm sure it has some coherent path and
structure.... but the main thing is that it's immediately appealing to the
listener and stays pretty much the same, tempo and dynamic wise...

> What do you think about music more recent or more experimental than
> the romantics? Is Varese, for example, narrative?

i don't have too much expreience with more recent composers.... Prokofiev,
I think is, though similar in ways to Rach lacks the certain epic
quality. to my ears, at least. I have yet to master prokofiev as a
listener. I heard some interesting music lately by a recent American
composer that, I think whent a little overboard with the story telling.
the peice was "about" the fire bombin of Dresden during WWII. It wasn't
music, really. it was just a really nifty audio effect. it had no melody.
part of it was just one big crescendo, including screaming and
everything. i don't really respect that many american composers, musically
speaking, especially the most recent ones...