More alternative listening

In anticipation of the erudite replies I'm bound to get from this List,  I
wonder what folks will make of this.

Some months ago, prompted by discussion here, and reading of the Friedrich
book, I began to explore Gibbons. From that has come a desire to explore
late-sixteenth and early-seventeenth century consort music generally. I
have some Locke (CONSORT OF FOWER PARTS) and the Purcell FANTAZIAS & IN
NOMINES, all by the wonderful Fretwork consort on Virgin/Veritas. Also the
Gibbons music for voices and viols on Naxos (beautiful).

But now I'm wondering where next? Byrd's music for voices and viols? John
Jenkins, about whom I know nothing (other than that there is also a Naxos
cheapo), Marais (ditto)?

Anyone care to signpost?

Which makes me think -- picking up that Naxos thread again -- that they are
to be thanked: it feels a priviledge, to me, to be able to dip in and out
of this kind of historical and cultural legacy at such prices.

And also, although GG only recorded a handful of Gibbons' keyboard music, I
can't help wondering if the viol consort music of this period of English
composition appealed to him. There is something about its melancholy sound,
its abstraction, its suppressed intensity and quiet passion that I feel
would have appealed. What do you think? Whatever the case, this makes
superb late-night listening: quiet, solitary, intimate, mysterious music.

Best,  Alun

The  P H O E N I X  P A R T N E R S H I P
public and voluntary sector research, development and project management
Alun Severn & Terry Potter                                    ALUN SEVERN
                                        1 Chestnut Road  Oldbury  B68 0AX
                                                   Tel/Fax: 0121 421 5852
                                            email: alun@ukiah.demon.co.uk
An age is always a farrago of different ages.  Whole parts of it are
unleavened and undercooked; it contains the husks of old forces, and
the seeds of new ones.                              - Alfred Doblin, 1924