Re: Listening

Bob Williams asked:

>What is the opinion of the members of this [Penguin Guide to CDs]
>guide? The worst (as well to be fair the best) CD's that I own had
>the Penguin's approval.

Well, Bob, I have to admit to using it all the time. It's kind of snooty,
the tastes reflected are not mine, but the judgements are really pretty
helpful and often spot-on.  I have been tempted to shell out the L18.95 for
the latest edition, then I thought, No, why not just carry on consulting it
in record stores, like I always do? If it wasn't around I'm sure my choices
would have been less informed, represent (generally speaking) less value
for money. I find it especially good for judgements on authentic and
non-authentic performances (period instruments as opposed to non-period).

Best,  Alun

The  P H O E N I X  P A R T N E R S H I P
public and voluntary sector research, development and project management

TERRY POTTER                    and         ALUN SEVERN
96 Southam Rd                               1 Chestnut Rd
Hall Green, Bham B28 0AD                    Oldbury B68 0AX
Tel/Fax: 0121 777 3269                      Tel/Fax: 0121 421 5852
email: 106114.3405@compuserve.com           email: alun@ukiah.demon.co.uk

An age is always a farrago of different ages.  Whole parts of it are
unleavened and undercooked; it contains the husks of old forces, and
the seeds of new ones.                              - Alfred Doblin, 1924