Toronto

I can't help feeling that there isn't much to see in Toronto for the
Gould enthusiast.  His parents' perfectly ordinary house has a plaque in
front of it; the old CBC building on Jarvis is abandoned, recently
covered with yellow warning signs; his ordinary apartment on St. Clair
has a plaque on it; the Four Seasons Hotel in East York is not worth
seeing; Eaton's auditorium is closed (though not torn down, as Michael
Stegemann says in the notes to Sony SK 52 620.)  The organ at All
Saint's church on which Gould recorded Art of Fugue 1-9 has burned.
Perhaps I'm less interested in the Gould sites since I work in Toronto
and pass these places frequently.
The places I would recommend you see are: Massey Hall, in which Gould
played frequently (Listen to CBC PSCD 2005) also see a video clip of
Gould performing the first movement of Beethoven Symphony #6 at Massey
Hall, the Gould Yamaha in the lobby of Roy Thomson hall,(two more Gould
pianos are in Ottawa) maybe have lunch at Fran's restaurant, near the
apartment at Yonge and St. Clair.
I have sometimes wondered if there is any interest in having informal
guided tours for visitors which would include all the sites without the
visitor having to find his way around?  Let me know.  The places are
fairly widely spaced, and it would take some effort to find some of
them.  See an excellent web page at www.uottawa.ca/~weinberg/gould.html
and click on "A Tour of Toronto" for addresses, etc.
Bruce Cross