Re: Bored people.

At 12:35 PM 4/29/97, Matthew C Gamber wrote:
>When I subscribed to this discussion list, I suspected the bulk of the
>conversation would include Glenn's work process, his theoroies on
>interpretation and advancement, and an extention and application of them
>into other media.  Then after a deal of dissection and discovery, people
>would gain some enlightenment from the spinoff of their own ideas and then
>put concept into reality.  I figured that a continuation of what he began
>would be a proper form of memorial to suit the immortality that he always
>wanted. This is not what I see here.

Matthew,
        Sorry to hear you're disappointed, I've always felt that everyone
on this list is really chummy and friendly-like, and a lot of the time we
just check in to say hello and add a little levity to each others'
mailboxes. I know this might be very disappointing to someone who tunes in
hoping to find a steady stream of serious discourse. Our common thread is
an admiration for GG, and our points of admiration are quite varied, but I
can't deny that fanaticism does manage to leak to the surface. Hey, at
least we're enthusiastic, right? ;-) In any event, I'd hardly say we were
too boring to create our own lives, I've frequently been surprised by the
astounding things some of the people on this list have managed to get
themselves into. I admire the diversity of the list, too; offhand I can
think of listmembers who are artists, teachers, students, performers,
lawyers, librarians, programmers, scientists in genetics labs... Hell, I'm
thankful and amazed we get along so well.
        But back to matters at hand...
        I notice that you are a fairly recent subscriber, yes? (Your name
doesn't appear on my group list from February.) Check some of the old
F_Minor logs that are kept available for FTP. Sure there's a lot of goofy
crapola in there, but I think you will also find a lot of worthwhile
discussion and analysis. A lot of people on this list have been subscribers
for a long time, and once a Gould topic is put to bed it gets repetitive to
dredge it out again. I personally would love to bat around some new themes
- especially dealing with multimedia - so please feel free to posit at any
time; things have been slow around here for the last two or three months
(allowing ample time for frivolous topics, something I willingly admit to
supplying in lean times,) and it's time to get things rolling again.
Regards,
Kristen

"It is not just Gould's playing but the fact that he stopped playing,
turned his back on the world, that fascinated Bernhard. It didn't matter
that this example was partly a myth, or that the actual Gould quite cannily
orchestrated his public image and record sales. ...Bernhard didn't need
Glenn Gould, he needed the "idea of Glenn Gould" -- the "thought vehicle"
with which he could spin out his own literary variation..."

--Mark Anderson