GG: Sonatas for violin/harpsichord

Dear All,

For a couple of months I have been listening to the BWV 1014 -- 1019
violin/harpsichord sonatas on a Philips Duo pair of discs with Arthur
Grumiaux but I finally succumbed and bought the Sony Vol 6, GG and Laredo,
coupled with viola/cello sonatas with Rose. Have only heard the GG/Laredo
set so far -- extremely beautiful works, which I *much* prefer with GG's
piano rather than harpsichord.

But here's an odd thing. I can't give you references to back it up, so it
remains a hunch, but has anyone else noticed the very different tone in the
liner notes of the late 80s resissues compared with the most recent
remastered reissues? For example, the liner notes in this Vol 6 suggest
that Rose could barely keep up with GG's "stop-go technique" and was
unfamiliar with the music. I also saw, in the CD library in town, a reissue
of the Tocattas in which the liner notes suggest that GG only recorded them
because he was obliged to fill a Columbia contract.

Maybe for a period someone at Sony who disliked GG was in charge of
compiling/editing/commissioning sleeve notes. Whatever, it seems a very odd
practice to me to include liner notes in your new releases which are
vaguely critical of the contents....I mean, record companies just don't do
this kind of thing....do they?

Just wondering.....

- Alun

                          o  Home                     1 Chestnut Rd  Oldbury
                                                 W.Midlands  B68 0AX
England
A L U N  S E V E R N                                      tel: 0121 422
9509
                                               email: alun@ukiah.demon.co.uk
                          o  Work      tel 0121 643 4343 + fax 0121 643
0661
"Solitude is the prerequisite for ecstatic experience..."      - Glenn Gould