GG: At Home etc

Tim Conway wrote:

> This section of the arieta is often used in quizzes. As Eric would
> have done, most contestants hearing it for the first time go for
> Joplin as the composer.
> I regret that the first CD I bought of op 111 was by Ivo Pogorelich.
> Leaving aside the rest of the opus, his rendition of the ragtime
> segment is jazzier than GG's. It really swings and syncopates, if
> that's not a contradiction in terms. Perhaps the _Glenn Gould at Home_
> excerpt that Mary Jo talked about showed GG really jazzing it up, in
> contrast to the official recording where he might have decided to show
> more restraint. Who knows? All I know is that I'd like to get my hands
> on a copy of the
> _Glenn Gould at Home_ CD.
> BTW Eric: are you related to that other Eric Coates, composer of....                -----------------------

I'm not necessarily sure that jazzier is better in this opus 111 sonata
but, like you, I'd love to get a copy of the At Home With GG recording
and I'm still looking forward to the Official version. ( Don't you think
Ludwig must have been feeling a bit strange the week he wrote that? I
bet it was the same week he wrote the Grosse Fuge)
   I'm not related to the other EC and as you suggest it used to be a
bit of a pain when he was alive and his music was more in fashion to
have to explain this to everyone I met. I get asked about once a year
now. However, I'm sure you all hear Desert Island Discs on BBC World
Service. Sleepy Lagoon, the signature tune, is one of his.
I wonder what eight records GG would have chosen. Perhaps he'd have done
a William Walton and chosen eight of his own.
(A nifty way to get back to GG )
   Regarding your "half baked" theory about GG's vocalising, it sounds
pretty good to me. I wonder, though, whether Alberto Guerrero had any
effect in this. (Latin, Southern, presumably more ebullient and
emotionally expressive than his pupil. For all I know, though, he was
from Tierra del Fuego which is pretty "Northern" in an upside down sort
of way!)
 Regards Eric