Re: GG: Art of Fugue

Just an interesting note, seeing as how Gould loved seperating the
musical lines in Bach's fugues etc: the Julliard String Quartet recorded
the Art of the Fugue, available as a double CD set from Sony. It's
remarkable - suddenly you can hear it in a much more defined way. Sure,
if you're a purist, you'll scream; but as an experiment I quite like it.
The fact that I'm a string player doesn't hurt either, I suppose.

But I'll definitely pick up Gould's edition once it's released! Can't
wait for the F-Minor discussions to start. Wonder how many of us will
grab it on the date of release and wear the disc out in three days?

Arin Murphy
Concordia University, Montreal

The absolute requirements of literary labour not unfrequently compel an
irregular distribution of time, and with it irregular social and moral
habits. (J.W. Kaye)