GG- Imcomprovisition

>> Bruce Petherick writes: "This point about revision brings up the
>>discussions regarding improvisation/composition and their temporal
>>relationship ie comoposition is improvisation frozen and improvisation is
>>"real-time" composition."

It's a slight non-sequiter, but the above reminded me of a quote I've
always liked, pretty good for off the top of the head: asked to define, in
fifteen seconds, the difference between composition and improvisation, jazz
musician Steve Lacey responded (paraphrasing; I've lost the exact words):

"The difference is that in composition, you have as long as you want to
decide what to say in fifteen seconds. In improvisation, you have fifteen
seconds."

regards, Josh Randall

smtp://joshr@mdc.net
http://world.std.com/~joshr/