GG: 'bergs -- Salzburg Festival, 1959

Reading about Gould's 1959 Salzburg Festival performance and recording of
the the 'bergs in Friedrich's finally made me go out and get them. Amazing.
The precision, clarity...all there. I had expected a fuzzy recording, but
the newly mastered sound is superb. The 1959 'bergs are somewhere between
the 1955 debut and the '81 revisit, for me. I believe GG also came to b
immensely pleased with this radio recording, saying that he wished there
had been an audience of 20,000 rather than 2000 (jokingly, one presumes!).

Somewhere in the Friedrich book there is a passage about this recording --
but I'm damned if I can now find it. If anyone has the book to hand and can
track it through their no doubt copious underlinings, please let me know
where it occurs.

I just finished the book today, btw: the ending and Gould's last days and
death are superbly recounted, immensely moving. I just wanted it to go on
and on. Or perhaps I just wanted GG to go and on. Whichever, I finished it
with an aching heart.....

- Alun

|  ALUN SEVERN                        |  CO-ENTERPRISE                |
|  1 Chestnut Rd  Oldbury             |  Tel  0121 643 4343           |

|  West Midlands B68 0AX  England     |  Fax  0121 643 0661           |
|  Tel     0121 422 9509              |                               |
|  Email   alun@ukiah.demon.co.uk     |                               |
| ...[it is my] sober conviction that no piano need feel duty-bound   |