Re: Schubert at 200

On Sat, 1 Feb 1997 frank@clark.net wrote:

> ... Schubert's music is not essential to Western music
> (the only kind) ...
> ... it is a fact that the value of his music exceeds that of
> the combined artistic productions of all non-Western civilizations.
> Music, and I mean the deliberate contrivance of a extended
> microcosm without external purpose, unlike chanting to induce
> hypnosis
etc. etc. etc....

I can't believe I'm responding to this but just in case you are serious
and your post was not just an ingeniously and deliberately crafted
impetus to liven things up on this congenial list, I take offense to your
remarks.

I grew up listening to Gould recordings and Western music is in my
blood.  I would like to think that I'm pretty with it in cultural
matters but I did not know that "the value of Schubert's music exceeds
that of the combined artistic productions of all non-Western civilizations".
Where did you find this fact?  In the 1997 World Almanac listed under
_Per Capita Nodular Cultural Values - by region_ ?

White European men do not have a monopoly on the strange mix of passion,
blood, and cogency that is music.  I assure you.

Michael Hong