GG: Preludes, Fugues, Fughettas

Dear All,

I know I have written about these pieces before, but listening again to the
SIX LITTLE PRELUDES, the NINE LITTLE PRELUDES, the PRELUDE & FUGHETTA, the
miniatures that GG returned to record again just short of two years before
his death, prompts me to write again. That, and the debate over the past
few days regarding GG's "young" and "old" style.

It seems to me in these miniatures -- gems, crystals, tiny ingenious
machines -- we can hear both the young and the old Gould: the headlong,
ecstatic adrenaline rush *and* the introspective, contemplative. A
summation of Gould. Maybe even of Bach. A distillation. Thoughts?

Best,  Alun

ALUN SEVERN           1 Chestnut Rd, Oldbury, West Midlands B68 0AX, England
                      Voice: 0121 422 9509     Email: alun@ukiah.demon.co.uk
...[it is my] sober conviction that no piano need feel duty-bound
             to always sound like a piano.                    -- Glenn Gould