Re[2]: GG: The Firebird that is creativity...

     Interesting thread re. Gould's compositional confliction. I've
     pondered the idea after seeing _32 Short Films..._, and reading much
     of his writings. It seems to me that the film was suggesting that
     Gould experienced a profound frustration stemming from the fact that
     he was only(!!) a great interpreter of piano works that had already
     been written (which brings up a tangential thread of the unique
     position of music performance as being one mainly of *restorative*
     art, or at the least *interpretational* art...). Gould appears, in the
     characterization of the film, to be grasping for something else he can
     be great at, something else people can attach the label of 'genius'
     to. But it doesn't come. In my opion, I think this interpretation is
     borne out in Gould's writings, but I'd be interested to hear others'
     comments on this.

     Another question: what do subscribers of this list go to when they're
     done (temporarily, of course) tapping Gould's mine? What music follows
     easily after Gould, if you know what I mean? Or, put another way,
     Gramophone magazine has a feature called What's Next?, taking a
     well-known piece of music and suggesting other pieces that are related
     by mood, structure, influence. What' Next after Gould? My answer to
     such a question is more Gould, specifically his handful of some of the
     fugues from the Art of Fugue. I'm trying to get a copy of this, as
     I've heard only the best things about his clarity and communication
     through them. I currently have Zoltan K. doing the Art of Fugue.
     Tasty.

     Finally, has anyone heard Angela Hewitt, who records on Hyperion?
     She's a new Canadian pianist on the scene, possibly the spiritual
     successor to Gould. I've heard her Inventions and Symphonia, and I've
     been quite impressed. I'd sure like to hear her rumble through the Art
     of the Fugue, or the WTK.