re: GG: Handel

>I was looking today at a disc in the Sony GG edition: Handel piano sonatas,
>plus a couple of mono WTK fillers (the latter presumably from radio or tv
>performances?). The Handel is on harpsichord. I'm sure yo've talked this to
>death, but indulge me: views please on this recording.

* Suite de pièce in A major, Vol 1 No 1 (HWV 426)
    Suite de pièce in B flat major, Vol 2 No 1 (HWV 434)
    Suite de pièce in B flat major, Vol 2 No 7 (HWV 440)
* Suite de pièce in D minor, Vol 1 No 3 (HWV 428)
    Suite de pièce in D minor, Vol 2 No 3 (HWV 436)
    Suite de pièce in D minor, Vol 2 No 4 (HWV 437)
    Suite de pièce in E major, Vol 1 No 5 (HWV 430)
 * Suite de pièce in E minor, Vol 1 No 4 (HWV 429)
    Suite de pièce in E minor, Vol 2 No 5 (HWV 438)
 * Suite de pièce in F major, Vol 1 No 2 (HWV 427)
    Suite de pièce in F minor, Vol 1 No 8 (HWV 433)
    Suite de pièce in F sharp minor, Vol 1 No 6 (HWV 431)
    Suite de pièce in G major, Vol 2 No 2 (HWV 435)
    Suite de pièce in G major, Vol 2 No 8 (HWV 441)
    Suite de pièce in G major, Vol 2 No 9 (HWV 442)
    Suite de pièce in G minor, Vol 1 No 7 (HWV 432)
    Suite de pièce in G minor, Vol 2 No 6 (HWV 439)
   Suite for 2 harpsichords in C minor (HWV 446)
    Suite in B flat major (HWV 455)
    Suite in C major (HWV 443)
    Suite in C minor (HWV 445)
    Suite in D minor (HWV 447)
    Suite in D minor (HWV 448)
    Suite in D minor (HWV 449)
    Suite in G minor (HWV 451)
    Suite in G minor (HWV 452)
    Suite in G minor (HWV 453)

The suites in A and F are showpieces IMHO, not very interesting...
The amiable suites in Dm and Em contain popular movements familiar to piano
students.
All impeccably played with one editing snafu in the Amaj.

The Bach Prelude and Fugues in E and F#m from book II WTC
 played on the harpsipiano and denoted in the liner as first authorized
releases are interpreted, as one would expect, within the limits of the
instrument (after hearing his virtuoso piano versions).

I characterize this disc, in my mind, for listening, with his CD of the
Hindemith 1-3 Sonatas,
because IMO Handel and Hindemith achieved a similar level/objective in
music ( of their time)....

... but if you can only acquire one I would recommend the Hindemith for
music (with some remarkable virtuosity! on track 11= Sehr lebhaft of the
3rd)
        and the Handel only for your Gould collection.