Re: GG: Gibbons and a certain English conservative privacy(?)

Joseph said:

>For you and anyone else interested, please give the Salisbury Pavan a good
>listen. Incredibly beautiful. It's always been such a solemn and revelatory
>piece for me.

As instructed, it is playing as I write. The Gramophone magazine, reviewing
the WTK I said:

        "...All romantic potential is swept rudely
        into oblivion....blinding clarity is coupled
        with an autocracy that dares you to dissent..."

        -- quoted in Sony catalogue "The GG Edition"

Thinking about this. These hushed and somewhat private performances of
Byrd/Gibbons: do they appeal so strongly because they *are* less
'autoctratic'....

Thanks for the continuing richness of this thread.

Rgds,  Alun

ALUN SEVERN     * snailmail:             1 Chestnut Rd  Oldbury
                                         West Midlands  B68 0AX
                                                        England
                * voice:                          0121 422 9509
                * email:                 alun@ukiah.demon.co.uk
"...[it is] my sober conviction that no piano need feel
      duty-bound to always sound like a piano."   - Glenn Gould