GG: Chair problems

Hello all,

Lori wrote:

>It seems to me that the chair symbolized his career as a pianist.  I
>find it intriguing to watch the condition of the upholstry on the seat
>throughout the videos.

I've been following this as well.  The chair did, of course, begin to look
delapidated by the early sixties.  In the picture on Page 50J of Payzant's
_Glenn Gould, Music & Mind_, the chair appears to be completely missing its
seat and a strapped on cushion is in its place.  The picture was taken in
1973, but I had no idea the chair was ever in that bad condition.  Does
anyone have any ideas what I'm seeing?

Regards,
David