GG: Silence o' the Lambs

This connection twixt Gould and _Silence of the Lambs_ was a thread on
f_minor many moons ago. For newer members of the list who aren't
familiar with the thread, it might be of some interest for me to
mention that the Goldbergs *played by Glenn Gould* are specifically
requested by Lecter of the desperate Sen. Martin.  In the book he
actually commits the murders mentioned while contemplating the
sarabande. Later Lecter listens to the two-and-three-part inventions--
again performed by Gould-- in his hotel after he's escaped.

My theory is that Lecter embodies a sort of Nietzschean Apollonian
aesthetic.  For Lecter, Gould's playing is the quintessence of beauty.
I'm sure the juxtaposition would have horrified Gould, but it's an
interesting book philosophically...

-Mary Jo,
mwatts@rci.rutgers.edu