Re: GG: Piano Woes

Alun Severn wrote:

> Lori said:
>
> >I wonder.  Is the piano used to record the 2 and 3 part Inventions the
> >same as that used to record the French Suites?  Was it CD 318 after
> >its unfortunate accident?
>
> *What* unfortunate accident?
Lori responds:

While moving CD 318, the movers dropped it on one corner.  The fall
knocked out several keys.  But Gould had made so many adjustments to
the instrument by this point that it would have been impossible to
repair the keys and then get the right action back.  After a while,
Gould abandoned the piano and began his search for a new instrument.

I find it ironic that CD 318 is now enshrined in a plexiglass
sarcophegous.  It was useless to GG.  Wouldn't it make more sense to
admire the Yamaha, GGs last piano used to record the '81 Variations?
This instrument is more of a tribute to what he wanted in a piano.

> Could someone elaborate on these "harpsipiano" recordings? What are the and
> what was the instrument?

The harpsipiano is explained by GG himself in "The GG Collection: V
The Conductor."  And he not only plays the Cantata "Widerstehe doch
der Sunde," but later he plays the fifth Brandenburg Concerto on the
same instrument.

Lori Lalonde