Re: GG: Re: Kunst ist tot?

In message <01IE3ILRV5R600B8U7@VMS.UCI.KUN.NL>, Reinout Dekhuijzen
<reinout@pobox.COM> writes

>The reason for this is the fact that the music industry fixes the
>prices; retailers that offer CDs at lower prices are not supplied, and
>stores that import their own CDs (from the US instead of via the
>'official' suppliers) are sewed in court succesfully. Last year they
>even claimed that ordering CDs over the internet is illegal.

Not so in the UK on any count.

There are dozens of retailers advertising and selling at up to 7$ less
than the RRP (recommended retail price) and the law bans suppliers'
refusal to supply retailers who do this. This sort of behaviour was
outlawed when RPM (retail price maintenance) protection was abolished
here _years_ ago. The French, Germans, Swiss and the Japanese just love
mail ordering from the UK.

Our prices may be 50% more than those in the USA but boy do we have
unbelievable choice. Our top price RRP is Pds.Stg.14.99 usually and many
outlets sell for Pds.Stg.10.99 (incl. inland postage).

Buy the Gramophone magazine (email address: editor@gramophone.co.uk
if you want subscription or other info.) and scan the advertisements if
you want to see low prices freely available.
--
Richard Landau
richard@luthier.demon.co.uk