Re: GG: Charles Rosen's Goldbergs

Robert Clements said:

>I'm not sure that the similarity with GG holds _that_ well though (apart
>from the straight & _clavier_ clean piano sound, which both pianists were
>searching for): Rosen was basically using a classicist's aesthetic to
>_realise_ the score; whereas - as always - GG's performance is a
>romanticist's reconsideration bordering on (figurative) transcription of the
>work. But for my money, at least, Rosen really _is_ an essential classic....

---

This makes me think -- for the first time -- that GG was actually a
romantic searching for an unromantic 'sound' within a romantic
interpretation?

Thanks, Alun Severn

 Alun Severn     snailmail   1 Chestnut Rd  Oldbury
                             West Midlands  B68 0AX   England
                 voice       0121 422 9509
                 email       alun@ukiah.demon.co.uk
"...[it is] my sober conviction that no piano need feel
    duty-bound to always sound like a piano."   - Glenn Gould