Re: GG: 2 & 3 Part Inventions

> BTW, Ivo Pogorelich, I think in interview w/David
>Dubal, singled out GG's Inventions as a particularly remarkable recording
>for the sound he achieved.

Here is the passage:

DUBAL: Was there a particular recording [of GG's] which had a great impact
on you?

POGORELICH: I think the most stupendous interpretations are the Bach
Three-Part Inventions. There he achieves a piano sound previously unknown
to pianists. Neither Horowitz nor any of the other famous pianists of this
century were ever able to produce anything like it, at least in my opinion.

(from David Dubal, _Reflections from the Keyboard_, Summit Books, NY, 1984,
pp 265-6)

Is it the sticky hammers that led to this remark? The clarity and purity of
sound do seem remarkable here, even for GG; perhaps it is the textural
clarity of the music itself which brings this out.

Rick