Re: GG: Charles Rosen's Goldbergs

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Alun Severn wrote:

> I wonder what folks think of Charles Rosen's version of the Goldbergs (Sony
> Essential Classics, SBK 48173).
(...)
> Anyhow, I would welcome feedback on this performance if anyone cares to,
> and info about any other Rosen Bach recordings -- did he do more?

This used to be in a 3-LP set with Rosen's recordings of the Art of Fugue
and the ricercars from the Musical Offering.  I was more pleased with his
Art of Fugue and ricercars than the Goldbergs, but I listened more
carefully to those than to the Goldbergs.  The Art of Fugue is less
dependent on tone color and effects than the Goldbergs, even though both
are originally for harpsichord(*), so to me it comes across more
convincingly on the piano than the Goldbergs do.  That is, the piano and
equal temperament damage the piece less in transcription.

(*)Yes, some will disagree about the Art of Fugue being for harpsichord,
probably from reading about it somewhere without playing it.  But it's
clear to me from having played it on harpsichord, clavichord, piano, and
organ...as practical music for keyboard, its effectiveness goes in that
order for me.  The Art of Fugue is a practical textbook of _harpsichord
playing_, as well as composition and improvisation.  Plus I find
Leonhardt's 1950's essay convincing, about it really being a keyboard and
specifically harpsichord piece.  Everything he says is confirmed when one
plays it.

I do wish GG had tried the Art of Fugue on the harpsichord, if he was
going to do only one commercial recording on harpsichord, instead of those
silly performances of the Handel suites.  His piano excerpts from various
concerts/broadcasts work better than his organ recording, too.

Bradley Lehman, bpl@umich.edu       http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/