Re: GG: 2 & 3 Part Inventions

>What views do people have of the @ & 3 Part Inventions (BWV 772 - 801). In
>my Sony CD set (two discs, with the Toccatas, reissued in this form in
>about 1986, I think), the piano has a rather clanking sound, to me.

>GG was hyper-critical of the recorded piano tone. So is this sound
>"deliberate" or an unavoidable result of either piano technology or
>recording technology?

This recording was done while his piano was "sick", escapment wasn't
allowing some hammers to retreat properly from strings somewhere in middle
registers. I've always enjoyed this pathology, somehow. (I don't remember
where I read about this.) BTW, Ivo Pogorelich, I think in interview w/David
Dubal, singled out GG's Inventions as a particularly remarkable recording
for the sound he achieved.

Rick