GG: 2 & 3 Part Inventions

What views do people have of the @ & 3 Part Inventions (BWV 772 - 801). In
my Sony CD set (two discs, with the Toccatas, reissued in this form in
about 1986, I think), the piano has a rather clanking sound, to me. The
remastered (and far stingier) CD which contains just the Inventions appears
(to my ears) to exacerbate this effect rather than reduce it.

GG was hyper-critical of the recorded piano tone. So is this sound
"deliberate" or an unavoidable result of either piano technology or
recording technology?

Best,  Alun

A L U N  S E V E R N                     After three days without reading,
1 Chestnut Rd                            talk becomes flavourless.
Oldbury                                                 - Chinese proverb
West Midlands B68 0AX
England
0121 422 9509
alun@ukiah.demon.co.uk