GG: Charles Rosen's Goldbergs

Dear All,

I wonder what folks think of Charles Rosen's version of the Goldbergs (Sony
Essential Classics, SBK 48173). I bought this some months ago in a sale and
have been playing it on and off ever since, gradually coming to the
conclusion that here is an interpretation which is pretty damned close to
GG's for its tone, its rigor, its shape and wholeness, while at the same
time largely free (it seems to me, certainly no expert) of the extremes of
tempi that GG's later version is often accused of.

Though if I am not mistaken, all repeats are observed, making it a rather
long exercise.

I note that it was also recorded in 1967 in the same CBS studio (the 30th
St studio, NYC) as both of GG's studio recordings (this probably just means
that CBS only had one NYC studio?).

Anyhow, I would welcome feedback on this performance if anyone cares to,
and info about any other Rosen Bach recordings -- did he do more?

Is this Bach on piano for those times when perhaps you don't *quite* feel
up to GG's intensity...? Anyone?

Best,  Alun Severn

A L U N  S E V E R N                     After three days without reading,
1 Chestnut Rd                            talk becomes flavourless.
Oldbury                                                 - Chinese proverb
West Midlands B68 0AX
England
0121 422 9509
alun@ukiah.demon.co.uk