GG: La Valse (again)

I bought and listened (several times) to GG's rendition of La Valse on CD
a couple of months ago. Just before Christmas I switched on ABC Classic
FM in the middle of a piano transcription of La Valse, but clearly not
GG's. I couldn't tell who was playing but he or she certainly wasn't
having as much effect as GG, even though the recording was more recent
and live. At the end of the piece there was clapping and the radio
announcer said that the piece had been played by two people, not one. I
was so astonished that I didn't hear whether it was a four-hand or
two-piano version, nor can I remember the players' names.

Is the sound that GG obtained wholly because of his transcription and his
remarkable ability? Did he double-track in some way? Is the sound a
product of bad recording technique? I'd be very grateful if anyone can
throw some light.

Tim Conway
<tpconway@ozemail.com.au>