Re: Sony GG Bach Boxed Set

rgray@odyssee.net (Robert Gray) writes:
> ads from Sony for a 24-CD boxed set [that truly resembles a
>box] of all GG's Bach recordings (plus what they call a "bonus
>CD" with the Italienisches Konzert and Kunst der Fuge).

   Figures! Those capitalist pigdogs at Sony would go ahead and release a box
of Bach after I have spent precious time and money slowly amassing the cds...
I feel a brief rant coming on...
   I hate to agree with the Gould bashing folk from Rec.Music.Classical, but
it does sort of seem that Sony is out to gouge the public through Gould,
especially if they are claiming to be including in this box a cd that will
not be available outside the set. I mean, I think that most people have both
the Italian Con. and the Art of Fugue on other labels (including old CBS,)
but for those collectors out there who like the GG Edition, or who prefer the
SBM sound, it is a financial drain. I find the marketing tactics weird, too:
I have browsed many local shops and big-name stores, and (though it might be
because the class. collections of most stores suck [pardon my slang]) without
exception the only GG Edition cds available to me here in the southeast US
have been the individual cds. It was not until I was able to actually leaf
through a distribution catalog that I found the cds were available in
tremendous sets (Vols 1- 5) which would have saved me a ton of money had I
bought those rather than buying everything one by one. And while I'm on the
subject, has it been discussed why Sony included none of the original art or
liner notes with the GG Edition? I like the high quality essays that have
been included, but it would be nice to have a feel for what the original
release was like, too. I find the absence annoying.
   Ok, I think I am done ranting now. I hate the free market sometimes. >:-(
 Sigh, I don't think I'll be buying this box, but does anyone know how much
it is going to cost? And meanwhile, is anyone with access willing to run a
small 'underground Gouldroad' of GG's unauthorized releases? After all this
controversy, I'd love to hear the Brahms concerto as it happened that night.