Database details -- general reply

Hello all,

Thank you all very much for the interest you have shown, and for your
sometimes excellent suggestions. Here is a general reply to your
-- if you're not really interested in the database you should probably
skip this message. I also wish to assure all readers that I have done my
best not to talk down, but I've had to assume that many interested
f-minor people know little about computers and even less about databases.
If you perceive any arrogance in -- or feel insulted by -- what I say
below, that is certainly not my intention. My apologies in advance.

First, an  exposition on databases.