Re: GLENN GOULD BASHING!! (fwd)

Hello all,

Pardon my brief explanation regarding the GG bashing thread which
occurred on the newsgroup rec.music.classical in Nov-Dec.  This thread
became rather heated and now has resulted in the forwarding of a post of
mine on that thread to the Glenn Gould Discussion List and the f_minor
group.  Actually, I received 4 different messages concerning this
newgroup post in my email from the discussion list.  However, none of
these four msgs from the discussion list were initiated by me.

During the GG bashing discussion on r.m.c., I was attempting to defend
GG when another poster had suggested that Bernstein had mocked GG and
actually made jokes at Gould's expense during his pre-performance
speech to Brahms Piano Concerto #1.  Other posters (Eric Barnhill was
one) then began supplying second, third and fourth hand information
worded in a manner intended to make it appear as if they had actually
heard the speech or the performance.  It was obvious to me that they had
not heard either since the CD is sitting in my collection and I had
heard and was familiar with both.

So, as a matter of fact, I was trolling when I had requested that Eric
supply me with the information about the recording;  myself being almost
certain that Eric did not have the (hard to find) recording to back up
his mis-statements.  Sorry.... I know that's not nice to do.  But, at
that point in the thread, I was getting rather grouchy.

Now, in an effort to clear up some other things;  the date of the
recording which I have is 9.4.62 (April 9, 1962), on Melodram (Milano),
#CDM 18002, and the recording, as I understand it, is not authorized for
distribution in the USA because of royalty problems with either or all:
Gould/Bernstein/NY Philharmonic.  There may be other recordings of
this same performance which I am not familiar with.  I was lucky enough
to find this one outside the USA.
--
Best regards,
Dean