Re: Live/radio rec.

Thanks for the different answers to my mail!

I agree completely with everyone that believs Gould at his best in the
studio, away from non-controlable live music making. But there are some
live performances which do have some special energy that appeals to me.
For example, the Leningrad Bach and Beethoven concertos. I even prefer
the live Bach concerto to his recording with Bernstein. The selection
from Art of the Fugue, also from his Russian tour and released on Le
Chant du Monde LDC 278 799 CM 201, is also a favourite of mine.

This was not my main concern though. To my mind every unknown recording
of a major musician has something to tell the listener. If not on a
purely musical level (it might be a "bad" performance) so at least it
gives the listener a more complete picture of the artist at hand. This
must be even more true to any repertoire that is missing in the official
discography.

My question also concerns the fact that Gould seems to been very
selective about doing editable studio recordings (thank you Frank for
the distinction which is necessary to keep in mind) for other
broadcasting companies than CBC. As a Swede I'd be proud to know that
Gould only did one such recording (with the Swedish Radio) released on
BIS CD-323/324; the first disc also includes a live Beethoven concerto
performance. I find it strange though that this would be the case, and
it could be worthwhile looking for Gould's name in different
national/regional broadcasting archives.

Evene though Gould had a short concert career, he did many concerts.
Just look at ppg. 337-354 in "Glenn Gould A Life and Variations", a list
which I suspect isn't complete. Especially his many concerts in the US
and in Canada could be woth investigating (apart from the ones that have
already been issued on CD). Or perhaps his Bach D-minor with Karajan in
1958.

Best wishes,

Jörgen