Re: Database details

Hello all,

Database -- request for requests
--------------------------------

First, thank you all f-minor people who responded. As expected, your
replies were erudite and varied. Developers -- of which I am the lowliest
-- are delighted when potential users respond so readily.

Second, clearly 'database' means one thing to some people and another to
others. I need to clarify my request.

Third, I started by answering you individually because I thought I would
get few replies. However, the number of responses after the first few
days, and the fact that some of you replied to f-minor rather than to me
(this is not a criticism, just an observation), means that it would be
best if I did a general answer. If I haven't replied to you individually,
please wait for the general reply.

Fourth, because some f-minor listers may have been away on holiday in the
Bahamas, advising Pres Bill on foreign policy, coaching Bryn Terfel, etc,
I thought I'd wait a few more days to see if any more responses were
forthcoming. I therefore won't post my general answer until about the
middle of next week -- say Wed 8th Jan 97 Aus time (Tues 7th Jan 97 US
time). If you return from wherever after that, please feel free to have
your say: all contributions gratefully received.

Fifth (and this has NOTHING WHATEVER [not a flame, just emphasis] to do
with the rest of this email) -- does anyone know where I can get hold of
a CD of the Don Cossack Choir (DCC) with the Credo from the Russian
Orthodox Mass? The DCC, leader Sergei Jaroff, recorded it in (I think)
the late 1950s or early 1960s. I bought 2 DGG LPs of the DCC in Hong Kong
in 1965, one of which had the Credo. The LPs expired in my travels and I
have since lost them. I found 2 CD sets of the DCC in recent times. One
('Schwarze Augen', DGG Favorit, 423 770-2) has some of the 1965 LP stuff
but not all; the other ('Les Cosaques du Don', DGG Double, 439 675-2) is
a double CD containing recordings I had never heard before. None of them
is the Credo I am after (although there is a Credo [Kastalsky] on it),
which I think is the Gretschaninoff version. (I'd also ask about a Robert
Lloyd tape/CD but I think Mary Jo would kill me for being too extraneous
to the GG flavour.)

So, stand by your beds and wait for the definitive database expose and
explanation (the title of which -- you will all be pleased to know -- may
have a definitely GG twist). And thanks once again.

Tim

Tim Conway          mail:               Conway Consulting Pty Ltd
                                 301 Glenfern Road (P O Box 1042)
                                       Upwey, VIC 3158, Australia
                    tel:                          +61.3.9754.8544
                    fax:                          +61.3.9752.5309
                    email:              <tpconway@ozemail.com.au>
American saying:             Why buy a cow when milk is so cheap?
Kenyan saying:                   Why buy milk when you own a cow?