RE:GG Shine veracity

   I was able to finally see Shine yesterday, and I have to say that it was
indeed an excellent movie. I do have one question for the true Helfgott fans
out there (Bruce, as the emergency musicologist, perhaps you would know?); at
the end of the film I could swear that a very quick disclaimer flashes on
that says (I paraphrase, but the intent is the same) "Although the characters
of David and Gillian Helfgott are real, the events portrayed in this film are
fiction." It got me wondering, other than the basic points of a) his uncanny
childhood musical accomplishment, b) his late adolescent nervous breakdown,
and c) his adulthood restaurant performances and marriage to Gillian, how
much of the storyline of Shine is based on actual history? Were his sisters
consulted for the scenes of childhood, were Royal College staff contacted for
input on the college scenes? Has David recovered to the point where he could
provide cogent autobiographical information? I know that Gillian's biography
of David is set to be released as a tie-in to the film, but other than that,
where did the story of Shine come from?