Re: GG: more on that heavenly parser

   Of course I actually want to read it, silly :-). My sarcasm does not run
THAT deep, I really am quite interested in theories of mental storage.
Tangent: I remember reading about one cute theory in a Douglas Coupland book
about computer programmers; it suggested that because the human mind stores
such incredible amounts of information, it seems unlikely that the brain was
the sole memory center. It would have to follow, the character in the book
reasoned, that there were other sites in the body capable of storing
information. That, perhaps if you got a really good massage one day it would
limber up a memory center in your shoulder and you would remember events from
years and years ago. Science aside, it was a very engaging theory... just the
kind of thing a computer geek would say, what with all the success of
external hard drives. It might follow, then, that by soaking his hands, GG
was able to jump start the memory in his fingertips!
   The cello sonatas I was referring to were the Beethoven complete Cello
Sonatas (including the variations on themes from Mozart's Magic Flute) that
came out as part of Sony's Pablo Casals Edition in 1993. They are wonderful
indeed, and during the F Maj. Op. 5 it occurred to me how lucky we all are
that Casals and Gould never had the kind of cello/piano collaboration that Ma
and Ax have... between all their humming and gasping, we'd have never heard
the music!