Re: GG: Mapping the heart of a fugue...

Dear Joseph et al,

>I'm curious, can anyone else think of other visual artists whose work bears
>similarities to GG's musical work?

OK, I'll bite -- curious, compelled by your fascinating post, listening
here in the wet and windy heart of the UK to the WTK ll.

- What about Jackson Pollock. No, listen. I read that in his last years he
painted furiously while listening to Stravinsky, Bach and the spoken word
recordings of Dylan Thomas. But the 'drip' paintings....Hmm. There is a
similar impassioned surface, but beneath there emerges a rigidly controlled
-- furiously controlled -- loveliness and order and repetition.

- Or the portraits, especially pen and ink or pencil -- of Giacommetti: one
almost sees the skull beneath the skin.

- Or the more obvious geometric paintings of Mondrian.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Best,  Alun

 ALUN SEVERN          *    snail:         1 Chestnut Rd  Oldbury  Warley
                                          West Midlands B68 0AX  England
                      *    voice:         +44 (0)121 422 9509
                      *    email:         alun@ukiah.demon.co.uk
Life is not separate from death. It only looks that way.
                                    - Native American Proverb (Blackfoot)