Re: GG: Mapping the heart of a fugue...

>I'm curious, can anyone else think of other visual artists whose work bears
>similarities to GG's musical work?

Escher. Remember those optical, figure ground, pencil sketches of stairways,
hands, and birds? One moment you see them going in one direction, another
moment, the opposite way. The stairways are three dimentional but really two.
They are visual conterparts of the fugue. I find these clever pictures
delightlful, but unlike GG's musical work, they have little artistic value.

Nonetheless, if you enjoy delving into the relationships between the visual
and the aural, I actually recommend Hofstader's (sp?) "Godel, Escher, Bach."
It talks about logic, art, mathematics and music as represented by GE&B.
Even the layout of this book, including the "dialogues" resembles a fugue.
This, I imagine, is your non-fiction counterpart to The Goldbug Variations,
without the love and drama.