Re: GG: Re: absolute pitch

     Wow, that is an interesting story; I have not personally
     heard it but I can believe it.  Not only as a musician but
     also as a lawyer.  Even though the law has traditionally
     been that the courts will not interfere with this kind of
     discretionary decision-making, that has not kept people from
     bringing this kind of lawsuit.  And in the last ten years or
     so, courts have started to hold athletic and other similar
     organizations to their own rules and regulations, usually on
     a contract-type theory.  That's why there's been more
     litigation recently with respect to allegedly inaccurate
     Olympic drug-testing, contested race results, etc., etc.
     etc.  But I think it's still fairly safe to say that a
     musician could not sue to make the orchestra tune to A-440.
     By way of illustration, however, if the music director had a
     contract giving him control over that decision and the
     business management decided to override his decision, he
     could probably sue to enforce his contract.

     Anyway, this is a great story, because I don't believe most
     orchestras tune to A-440 anyway.  I think A-443 is closer to
     the orchestral standard, but it certainly varies from group
     to group.  Musicians still consider A-440 to be the
     "standard," but lots of orchestras make a conscious decision
     to tune a little bit sharper than that to get a "brighter"
     sound.  No doubt people decide to tune a little bit flat in
     other contexts.  Even though pitch is relative and "A" isn't
     anything but what we decide to call it, the tuning does tend
     to affect timbre because the higher you tune the brighter
     the sound will tend to be.  Just try speeding up your record
     player and you'll see.  Besides getting faster, it also gets
     tinnier.

     I'm not sure when A was standardized at 440.  I'll try to
     look it up when I go home.  I know that in the 19th century
     there were two different standards that were as much as a
     semitone apart.  One was close to what we use now and the
     other was a semitone higher (I think).  I think that one
     system was called "concert" and the other was called
     "orchestral," but I'm not sure.  I'll bet we have some piano
     technicians on our mailing list that could give us chapter
     and verse on this.